07 November 2010

. . . thankful #7 . . .

. . . music . . .
. . . today ~ hymns in particular . . .

background: a few weeks ago, i attended a broadcast of the general relief society meeting. i was lucky enough to have my daughter, amanda, sitting next to me. the meeting began and as i started to join in singing the opening hymn, {as i am wont to do!} tears flooded my eyes, making singing impossible. {why is that? my eyes were crying, but my voice wouldn't work. so confusing . . .} anyway, that set the precedent for the rest of the meeting and my feelings/emotions were right on the surface {mostly overflowing}. i must have been experiencing an extra dose of "tempest tossed"/"all is lost"-ness that day. it happens! after the meeting, another daughter, amelia, was wondering what in the world was wrong with mother. i told her it all started with the opening hymn. she asked what we had been singing. i couldn't even tell her the title without the floodgates reopening. amanda stepped in and answered {slightly inappropriately} for me, "it was Count Your Freakin' Blessings!"

listen here


. . . this hymn's lyrics sum up
exactly what i need to do
if i want to be happy . . .

. . . i must concentrate on how truly blessed i am . . .
. . . and when i do ~ i am surprised
by how much the lord has done for me! . . .

. . . i learn so much from music . . .
. . . it touches me in a way
that the spoken word
sometimes can't . . .
. . . i love playing hymns
on the piano or organ . . .
. . . i love singing them . . .
. . . and i love listening to them . . .
. . . my life is definitely enriched
through sacred music . . .



10 comments:

manders said...

for me today, it was "because i have been given much". couldn't do it... 'twas a rough {teary} day for me too. love you, mom.

vicki said...

I appreciate this post, Steph! YOu have a beautiful way of expressing your {freaking} self!!!

jckhadlocks said...

I love how hymns can touch our hearts. I cry through half of the songs I sing almost every Sunday. Maybe I'm just a cry-baby :)

angiedunn said...

awesome post. if i remember right i was sitting in front of you balling my eyes out through that whole meeting.

i love hymns. today we sang the lord is my light. love love that one.

Anonymous said...

ya stephie, like when I see your family signing and singing....makes my eyes drip big time....beautiful.

Peg and Parker said...

Sometimes when I read your cute sayings on your blog, I count my blessinsg and one of them is you, my friend. I love that we share a love of music and that you can tell it like it is. I second every thankful post so far. Thank You!

chris+amber said...

that song does it for me too and i can't even hear the "freakin'" music. the words say it all for me. you are jack's daughter. love you.

Jennifer said...

I totally agree! Music touches me on a deeper level. I just taught our combined youth a lesson on the influence of music in their lives this last Sunday. This topic has definitely been on my mind lately! Thanks for the post.

Amber Veater said...

Amen! Signing hymns is one of my favorite things in the world. Its beautiful. You're beautiful!

Suzie said...

Steph,
Thank you for sharing this. It caught me at a time when counting my blessings is the only peace I get right now.:) I love your blog. We're neighbors! I'm in Mesa, too. And in Skyline Stake.:)
Once again, thanks for sharing.
Suzie @
Staycalmandsewsomething.blogspot.com