09 October 2007

it all started . . .

. . . with this blog post
i need that wrapping paper
our ikea is not a friendly place
they were sold out
the employees there are not nice
& would not go look in the back
to see if there was more
& then they make you pay
five cents for each bag you need
to package up {yourself}
the stuff you just bought there
anyway . . . the only thing left to do
was go to the next closest ikea
. . . in newport beach
it takes a village
or at least seven people & two cars
first, you gotta have stuff
to go to california
here's one person's stuff . . .
. . . two people's stuff . . .
. . . three people's stuff . . .
car number one was ready set go
peg brought trip treats to entertain us
& make the time go faster
we love peg
treat #1 - sing along cd - love those
"hairspray" & michael jackson songs
treat #2 - fall-ish trail mix . . .
the one with m&ms, candy corn & peanuts
2 peanuts+1 candy corn=payday
2 peanuts+2 m&ms+1 candy corn=snickers
points awarded for creating a new candy bar wannabe
i got 10 points for this one:
1 peanut+1 m&m=peanut m&m
{but just like on "whose line is it anyway?"
. . . the points don't matter}
treat #3 - cherry carmex
great stuff
treat #4 - play doh - create an item
that you'll be shopping for
i guess we're on the hunt for
purses, silk plants . . .

. . . & cinnamon rolls . . .

{not sushi or tortilla wraps}

treat #5 - freshly homemade ginger snaps
. . . the best known to mankind
yum
treat #6 - people magazine style issue
points for guessing articles that might be inside
car number two artistically turned all
risque photos into modestly dressed celebrities
points

part of the trip was devoted to

"research/development" for our quilt group

first quilt shop - not worth the trip

the best thing we saw there were

these pumpkins in the parking lot

look at those cool lighter orange/brownish ones

they were awesome shapes

but looked like they'd be

impossible to carve

love the white ones too

second quilt shop - worth the trip

amazing/inspiring quilts to look at

great fabric/tools/equipment

& the most clever store name

apparently
in newport
there is no "i". . .

. . . in kea

but there is black/white

huge polka dot

wrapping paper

mission accomplished

we bought it all
don't bother

when car number two arrived

some of us treated ourselves

to pedicures

& some of us pouted

while we waited for them we had dinner at

the crab cooker

{some of us}
twice
same waitress both nights
& she remembered us

we took the balboa island ferry

which was piloted by an

actor/producer/director wannabe

who took our photo

& used at least four fake accents

on the five minute float

he was awesome

we went to take a look at

the newport temple

it was beautiful

but our real destination was

the orange county marketplace

{fancy name for swap meet}

we shopped . . .

. . . & shopped . . .
. . . & ate carnitas & churros . . .
. . . & got sunburned
& had a great time

we loaded up our haul

& were almost ready to head for home


but . . . inspired by this blog post

we had another stop to make

mission accomplished
this was my view from
newport to riverside
love those cali traffic jams
on saturday late afternoon

one more fuel stop

{for the car} . . .

. . . & one more fuel stop for us

i didn't realize until i got home

there was a definite theme

to my purchases

kinda halloween-ish

{without the orange}



15 comments:

angiedunn said...

yay for finding the wrapping paper! boo for ikea & their below-average customer service & bags that cost!

newport looks divine, as well as your cute company! 100% adorable post.

chris+amber said...

You girls know how to party hearty! I love your black & white purchases. I love my black & white shirts you got for me as well! Wore the white one today and felt very stylish. Thanks to you!

krista nelson said...

oh my gosh!! this is the best blog! you crack me up! i love that you have a blog. of course it is so cute! it seems like that was a very fun trip. how could it not with all of you guys!! it was great to see you this morning!! see ya thurday!

Peg and Parker said...

Ditto, Loved the post!! You, my friend, are a great blogger. Never again will I allow a sentiment to be issued from you if it includes anything less than the words, "I am queen of the blogging world. Bow down my unworthy subjects all!"(say it with one hand on your hip and one in the air holding the blogging sceptre. Girl, you rock!)
We did have a good time, dint we?

Anonymous said...

Steph: You are way better than Mary Poppins! You are Positively Perfect in every way! Thanks for a fun!!! weekend! Karen

Shellene said...

So where else could 7 old gals get up at 4:00 a.m. (which is hard for me!) and be together in a car for 15 hours in a 42 hour span of time and have so much fun and laughter?

Kudos to Peg (the busiest humanoid on earth) for taking time out to be creative as usual and think up fun ways to make the road trip even MORE fun (as if we needed MORE?).

But it really isn't about the swap meet. It's about being blessed with some of the most kind, funny, supportive women in the world as best friends who have helped me in so many ways and set wonderful examples of getting through good and bad times. I'm the luckiest fem-fetale in the whole wide world!

Luv all yer guts immensely!

MichelleY said...

Love all the black and white purchases. You didn't happen to get 2 of those purses did you? You gals always look like you have so much fun together. I wish I can find some great life long friends to grow "up" with as well:)

Lori said...

OK Stephanie, can I just say "WOW" that was so much fun, I felt like I just did the trip all over again. I have an idea for a new enrichment group "blogging" and you could be the group leader. You should have used some of my pictures so you were present in more of them, but I will try and get my post done after the TREK. Just want to say thanks to all for making the trip so fun.

Unknown said...

looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!! you should all bring your children next time! :) oh, and i am totally in love with the wrapping paper too, good call on going to cali to make sure you had some in your collection!

the cummard family said...

ya, we're all jelous. Looks like a fun girls trip. I HATE IKEA! I love this post-too much fun!

Alisse Baldwin said...

Seriously, bring your daughters with you next time!

I'm so glad you got Amber some of those shirts b/c she has been eyeing our crown one for awhile now.

Gotta love the swap meet!

Unknown said...

Cutest post! I wish I could have been there. I agree with Becky - you all should take your daughters next time. We should rent a bus and take it there so we can all be in one vehicle. You are the best blogger. I love reading your posts, especially this one!

The Fletchies said...

I'm so glad you posted about this! If you can't tell its been a while since I've checked blogger...been a little busy. I am so excited to do my post about the infamous plate holder! I look at it every time I get into my car and show everyone! Devin is going crazy cause every time we get in the car I say Devin...hey look...my car says fletcher jones and guess what...I'm a fletcher and a jones. There's one on his car too. I love them so so much. I loved your post. Your blog inspirs me to post more. I'll Have to post about everything ASAP!!!

P.S. I am also the hugest sucker for black and white. When ever I go shopping its all I manage to buy. Very cute new things. Espec they purse. And the orange county swap meet is amazing. You can always find the best jewelry there.

Okay novel complete.
The end.

HaYn Mama said...

Sis. Romney!!! You gals are so fun!!! I wanna hang out with you when I come back down to AZ to visit my fam-bam. I am totally crying now cuz you are so hilarious. I love your blog!

love ya,
Lynne (Fuchigami) Kahalekomo

Unknown said...

I love this so much I can't even tell you... I love the party-girl trip that is you cute girls trapped in the car with too much creativity and a checkbook.... makes me smile. Awesometown, population: you.