01 July 2013

. . . primary song book . . .

. . . this tattered little brown book 
is such a treasure to me . . .
. . . for one thing, it's a song book . . .
. . . and i do love music . . .


. . . but, for another thing, 
it belonged to my sweet grandma . . .
. . . i'm sure it was hers . . .
. . . look --- she signed it three times! . . .


. . . published seventy-one years ago, 
these were the songs 
my mom would have sung in primary . . .


. . . i took the book to church yesterday . . .
. . . i played this ↓ hymn as a postlude . . .
. . . it's one of my favorite patriotic tunes . . .
. . . and i remember learning it as a child . . .
. . . my grandma probably taught it to me . . .


. . . and i can't really sing 
or even hum or whistle it 
without doing the actions 
during the chorus . . .
. . . i love the instructions . . .
. . . especially number four . . .


. . . i don't know if i've ever paid attention
 to the "marches" section 
of this little book before . . .
. . . but i did find this sweet ditty in there . . .
. . . think i'll try to play it today . . .


. . . i just have one question . . .
. . . will the house magically clean itself 
while i play the piano? . . .


1 comment:

Sassy said...

What a PRICELESS treasure!!!!! I love our loved ones signatures.............they are becoming a lost art.....no one writes anymore it seems.....so sad!!!! I need that housekeeper's march played over here if it works for you.........I have an old song book and one of the songs is titled ♫♪My love ran off and joined the Mormons and by now I am sure he has a wife or two♫♪ Love your little book!!!